Friday, May 14, 2010

Summer....

I remember how it felt
when I was a kid
and it was the last few days of school
before summer vacation.

I wonder if my mother felt
the same feeling of dread
that I feel right now
when it was just a few days
until summer began
and she lost
the peace and sanity
that comes into a house
when most of the kids are
at school.

I like to think that she didn't
because when I was a kid
I always believed that my
mom loved nothing more
than to have us home with her.
I thought her days must be so
BORING
when we were gone.

Now that I am a mother,
I know that she did enjoy
having us home with her...
but she didn't enjoy
the fighting
the poking,
the hitting,
the statement "I'm bored"
repeated probably a million times
in the summer months.

So,
to who ever is reading this,
please know that I love my children.
And there will be things about
this summer that I will enjoy.
such as:
NO HOMEWORK (that would be for the kids...
not me. Because I will have homework this summer.)
NO SCHEDULE
NO BORING SCHOOL UNIFORMS IN MY LAUNDRY
SWIMMING LESSONS
GOING TO THE LIBRARY
and a general relaxing of our
overly busy schedules.

I know there will be challenges,
but I am going to try to
take it all in stride
and not let myself get
stressed out
when the day dissolves
into a very messy house
and no dinner yet
even though it is 7:00 pm.

On a brighter note...
I FINISHED MY
ANATOMY CLASS
TODAY!!!!!
Took the final this morning
and did better
than I ever imagined I would.
It has been a loonngg two semesters
and that was the hardest
class I have ever taken.
I am proud of myself
for sticking it out
when I wanted nothing more
that to quit,
and for not giving up
when everthing about it seemed
hopeless.

I'm also thankful for Loren
who supported me,
the kids
who put up with me.
And especially Jenna
who remembered that
I was taking my big test
this morning
and was thoughtful enough
to pray for me.

2 comments:

Melanie Hahn said...

I always thought mom loved us being home too!!! I BET SHE DID :) haha! That almost made me cry when you said Jenna prayed for you. What's sweeter than a childs prayer? I love that!

Christie said...

Congrats on finishing your class!!! Hope you have a fun time before the next one starts. What is it with the third child, they are so good at the prayer thing, love that, it made me smile!!!