Tuesday, August 30, 2011

TWELVE


I've been thinking about this post for a while...
a little over a week to be exact.
On August 24, Melia turned 12.
I know that to most, 12 isn't a big deal...
it's thirteen-the year they become a teenager-
that's a big deal.
But in our world- 12 is a big deal.
It’s the year that they get to leave primary
And go to Young Women’s.
It’s the year they are considered
Old enough to babysit
(although Melia has already had a little practice at that!)
In a way…it seems to be the year that they grow up.

So we allowed Melia the chance to do something
really special for her birthday.
Usually birthday's are celebrated at our house,
with a few friends.
Cake, ice cream, swimming for those who have
summer birthdays.
This year we let Melia invite her friends to
a movie (the Smurfs) and lunch (at native New Yorker).




No little siblings were there.
I think she had fun.
And I hope she appreciated the chance to feel
just a little bit grown up.
She even managed to negotiate swimming time
after the movie and lunch.
She very effectively stretched the length of her
party to 7 hours, not bad for a 12 year old.







Over the years, we have spoiled our children
on their birthdays.
They get a party with their friends,
and on their actual birthday,
we take them out to dinner.
I also make them whatever they request
for breakfast- Melia chose biscuits and gravy.
That evening we went to Olive Garden for dinner
And then came home to a special Treat from
Melia’s primary teacher:
Ice cream cupcakes (delicious!)

Her final surprise for the day
was given by the Young Women in our ward.
Melia's birthday happened to fall on the
day of their weekly activity.
They contacted me a few weeks in advance
and asked if we would mind if they
"Kidnapped" Melia that night
and give her a little surprise party.
They showed up here at a little after 7
and dragged her off for treats and games
at one of the home of one of the leaders.
I think she loved it!

I can't believe she is 12...
she is getting so grown up.
It's a little scary to think of
some of the things that she'll be
facing in the next few years of her
life.
Growing up is hard.
The challenges she will face
will be difficult.
And for Loren and I
letting go, and letting her walk
towards those challenges
is the hardest thing to do.
We want to keep her safe.
We want to protect her from everything
"out there".
I want to rewind back to when she was
small
and just push the pause button.
I see her growing into an
amazing Young Woman.
I hope she can hold on to all
that we have taught her,
and remember who she is.

1 comments:

Heather A said...

Wow! I can't believe she is that old already. Sounds like a great birthday for her and kind of a sad one for you.